Sunday, September 4, 2016

A.R. Rahman: The Drug Of My Life

Music is the soul of everything under the sun. It can influence our senses to a great extent. For example, a slow music can lower your heart beat, relax your mind, and makes you forget everything. On the contrary, a hard tempo can boost your adrenaline, makes your head shake automatically and you feel like dancing. A spiritual music can set you apart from the mob and your mind travels as far as possible.
My connection with music has been since I have gained my senses as I have been learning Classical Vocal since my very childhood, but a true love for it was eventually developed when 'Jiya Jale' song paved way into my ears and eventually, into my heart. And thus, was my introduction with A.R.Rahman sahab! (Yes, I call him that way, he's a sahab to me, much more than anything else, I love him.) He takes my breath away whenever I listen to his compositions. His hold in the notes and an ocean of knowledge in the world of music is incomparable, and undoubtedly, he is simply the Alchemist of Music.
Songs of 'Dil Se..', 'Bombay', 'Roja' and some of the initial Rahman compositions are such that almost every generation must have liked it, and why not? A single strum of the sound and the poetic lyrics in them are like pearls. Tell me, what happens inside your mind when you hear 'Chaiyaan Chaiyaan' where Sukhwinder Singh totally mesmerise us with his epic voice. It's like a Pied Piper playing a tune and we being the rats, keep blindly following him. 'Kehna Hi Kya', 'Tu Hi Re' have their own way to hypnotise us and heal us completely. And how can you forget the marvel of  'Taal'... ahh! Sensational songs like 'Ishq Bina', 'Ramta Jogi', 'Mere Paas hai tu' and so on... truly takes me to a different sphere. "Mere Paas hai tu" can't be expressed in words, I can listen to it 1000 times and get lost in my own world where I don't need anyone any more.
Less people might have heard all the songs of 'Meenaxi' starring Tabu. It has a music which sets all the boundaries apart and makes us believe in India's rich cultural heritage. Yeah, that's the strength in his music. 'Ye Rishta Kya Kehlaata Hai', 'Do Kadam', 'Noor-Un-Ala-Noor' have an earthy appeal in them, and no other tune could really have set with the Gulzar lyrics, really! Rahman and Gulzar are like coffee and milk, they go best with each other, but otherwise they have their own supremacy already. Do you remember the soulful songs of 'Saathiya'? I'm sure you do, especially 'Chalka', I still remember that we as kids used to dance a lot on this song in occasions and festivals. And the pumping music of 'O Humdum suniyo re' is a superb Indo-Western tune. I start having goosebumps whenever I listen to 'Chupke Se' or 'Naina Milaike'. They are some of the best crafted songs ever of Rahman Sahab. It can come into a category of "Songs to listen before you die".
Another great album came into being is 'Yuva'. 'Fanaa' is such a party song; makes me dance. And subtle songs like 'Kabhi neem neem', 'Badal jo aaye' will surely make your mood pleasant. I can keep on listing the songs but I just don't feel like stopping because there's much more than that. 'Kissa hum likhenge', 'O Maria', 'Dola Dola Dola', 'Do Nishaaniyaan', 'Blue theme song', 'Chiggy Wiggy', 'Ye Delhi hai mere yaar', 'Humma Humma', 'O ri chori', 'Radha kaise na jale', 'Masakali', 'Arziyaan'.....and so on.
I know I've missed mentioning many more songs.. but yes, he's the undisputed king of sur. He is the very thing because of who I am alive .... like a daily dose (4-5 songs per day at least) ;)
We love you A.R.Rahman ... keep inspiring us and I hope I could get a chance to see you once in my life....

No comments: